oa Civil Engineering = Siviele Ingenieurswese - Water from the Orange River for Kenhardt : Northern Cape
The small town of Kenhardt located in the heart of the Bushmanland, and approximately 100 km south of Upington, Northern Cape, has since its founding in 1863 been dependent on ground water for its water supply. Water in Kenhardt has always been problematic and it was initially supplied by barrels which were filled from shallow wells dug in the nearby Hartbees River. Eventually, the Border Scouts, who manned the outpost, dug open a fountain near the Driekop River which still exists today and is known as "die Syfer". A small impoundment known as the "Middeldam" was constructed 800 m downstream of this "fountain" and water was pumped into the impoundment with a diesel-powered pump. The water was then conveyed to the town square by means of a 3 inch gravity main where it was made available at a communal standpipe. This whole scheme was undertaken by a certain Colonel van der Westhuizen and cost the grand sum of £1 000.
Article metrics loading...