oa Civil Engineer in South Africa - The development of the East London Waterworks undertaking up to 1950
In 1847, the Regiment 73rd Foot, on reaching the vicinity of the mouth of the Buffalo River, where East London now lies, initiated the procurement of a fresh water supply for the area. The tiny camp relied for its entire water requirements on a small spring which was found and utilized on the slope below the present Hood Point Lighthouse. Captain William Baker of the Royal Engineers was attached to this infantry regiment and he is credited with having found the spring, which became known as Baker's Wells and was the chief source of supply for the settlement for many years.
Article metrics loading...