oa Civil Engineer in South Africa - Centreline tailings impoundments
Most tailings impoundments in South Africa are constructed by the upstream method. The dry climate, low seismic risk and availability of relatively flat ground ensure the continued use of such methods. However the centreline method of constructing tailings impoundments is advantageous if either
- The terrain is steep or mountainous
- Earthquakes may liquefy the tailings
- Pollution control requires an impermeable core, or
- Seepage control to preclude piping is desirable.
- Stage curves in impoundment design
- The mass balance of an impoundment
- The static and dynamic stability of centerline embankments.
Article metrics loading...