n South African Journal of Cultural History - 'n Ondersoek na die oorblyfsels van die Irene-weeshuis en -skool (1902-1907)




During the Anglo-Boer War (1899 - 1902) there were two separate concentration camps in Irene. The location of the main camp is well known, but the exact position of the smaller camp, or Camp no 2 as it was known, is described for the first time. The Irene orphanage was erected after the war in 1902 to accommodate Afrikaans-speaking war orphans. This orphanage was one of three built in the former Transvaal colony. The remaining stone foundations of the orphanage and nearby school building were documented. The government decided to amalgamate the three Afrikaans orphanages in the Transvaal colony, and the Irene orphanage and school closed down in September 1907 when all the orphans were transferred to the Potchefstroom orphanage.

Gedurende die Anglo-Boere-oorlog (1899 - 1902) was daar twee afsonderlike konsentrasiekampe in Irene gewees. Alhoewel die ligging van die hoofkamp bekend is, word die presiese ligging van die kleiner Kamp nr 2 vir die eerste maal beskryf. Die Irene-weeshuis, wat na die oorlog in 1902 opgerig is, was een van drie weeshuise in die Transvaal wat Afrikaanssprekende weeskinders gehuisves het. Al die oorblywende klipfondamente van die weeshuis en die nabygeleë skoolgeboutjie is gedokumenteer. Die owerhede het besluit om die drie Afrikaanse weeshuise in die Transvaal te amalgameer. Die Irene-weeshuis en -skool sluit in September 1907 toe die kinders oorgeplaas word na die vergrote weeshuis op Potchefstroom.


Article metrics loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error