oa South African Journal of Cultural History - Die C.N.O.-sending na Europa
Christian National Education schools were established in the Orange River Colony in May 1904 as a reaction to the education policy of the colonial government. Rev P.S. van Heerden and General P.H. Kritzinger were delegated by the Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church to raise funds in Europe in aid of this movement. Their mission lasted from September 1904 until March 1905. England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany were included in the tour. Since the money was donated almost entirely by individual supporters, it amounted to only 3 915. Because of the amalgamation of the Christian National schools with the government schools in March 1905, the funds raised through the mediation of the Nederlandsch Zuid-Afrikaansche Vereeniging and Het Christelijk Nalionaal BoerenComite were provisionally withheld.
Article metrics loading...