- A-Z Publications
- South African Journal of Cultural History
- OA African Journal Archive
- Volume 5, Issue 4, 1991
South African Journal of Cultural History - Volume 5, Issue 4, 1991
Volumes & issues
Volume 5, Issue 4, 1991
Author D. RadfordSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 135 –142 (1991)More Less
This study encompasses a neglected area of domestic architecture. It shows how important the carriage house and stables were in contemporary architectural theory and, by means of a number of actual South African suburban examples how this theory was put into practice. Similarities and differences are also noted while the conclusion attempts to establish the lowest rung on the local social ladder that such an important adjunct to domestic architecture could be expected to be found.
Author S. Marianna BotesSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 143 –160 (1991)More Less
The old Government Building at the top of Maitland Street in Bloemfontein was erected in different stages. The building served consecutively as offices for the government of the Republic of the Orange Free State, the government of the Orange River Colony and the Free State Provincial Administration. The ground floor of the front part was designed by R.C. Wocke and completed in 1877. In 1895 a second storey, designed by I.E. Vixseboxse, was added. In 1906 the building was further enlarged by an extension to the west built around a square courtyard according to a design of Sir Herbert Baker's. On 28 October 1908 a devastating fire destroyed virtually the whole building. Between 1909 and 1911 the building was rebuilt largely according to the plans of Sir Herbert Baker. The changes and improvements, especially to the fayade and the tower, were the work of the then government architect, F. Taylor. The building, which was declared a National Monument in 1972, now houses the Nasionale Afrikaanse Letterkundige Museum en Navorsingsentrum (NALN), i.e. the National Afrikaans literature museum and research centre.
Author S.J. JoosteSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 160 –168 (1991)More Less
Wind musicians were present since the first years of the Generale Vereenighde Nederlantsche G'octroyeerde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) at the Cape during the seventeenth century. Since 1656 the VOC muster rolls of the Cape garrison reveal the names of these musicians and they show that several German trumpeters worked at the Cape Castle during the seventeenth century. During the eighteenth century the number of German wind instrument players increased so considerably that the vast majority of all the trumpeters, fifers and haulbois-players of the Cape garrison were of German origin. Apart from these VOC officials, other German wind musicians were also present, viz. the band members of several foreign regiments, like the Regiments of Wurttemberg and Luxemburg, which were stationed at the Cape during the last quarter of the eighteenth century. Among the civilian musicians were a few German music teachers, some of whom gave instruction in the playing of wind instruments. Some of the Moravian missionaries in the Cape district were also capable of playing wind instruments, and they started a long and rich tradition of brass bands on several mission stations.
Author M.H.C. Du PreezSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 169 –173 (1991)More Less
Farmers have been inhabiting the mountains at the town Piketberg for more than two centuries. The very earliest tobacco farmers here were members of the Lucas family of the farm called Kafferskloof. They spun tobacco into long ropes which were afterwards sold in rolls as far away as Cape Town. This process already excisted by 1814 and continued till the middle of this century when it died out. Tobacco was dried and processed in thatched tobacco sheds of which one was re-erected at the Boland open-air farm museum at Worcester. The ancestor of the Lucas tobacco farmers was a German who arrived at the Cape in 1744. After attaining free citizenship he worked for some time as a tailor.
Author C. De jongSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 174 –180 (1991)More Less
Jules Anne Schagen van Leeuwen, one of 'Kruger's Hollanders' (1861-1936) was a lesser known member of this Dutch contingent which played a leading role in the administration, education and railways of the South African or Transvaal Republic. He emigrated as Doctor of Law from the Netherlands to the Transvaal in 1889. Due to his capabilities he became section head in the office of the State Attorney in 1894, and on three occassions he acted as State Attorney from 1895 to 1898. In 1898 he was appointed as a judge in the Supreme Court. During the Anglo-Boer War he, together with his family, went back to Europe. For the following 25 years he led a restless existence, being a lawyer in Pretoria, insurance company director in Cape Town, farmer and civil servant in the Netherlands and judge on Curacao (twice), before finally returning as a pensioner to the Netherlands in 1927. His significance lies in his work as judge and editor of legal publications in the South African Republic, legal advisor to the Republic's negation in Brussels during 1900-1902, and compiler of a codex for civil law of procedure for the Netherlands Antilles.
Author Andre MalanSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 180 –189 (1991)More Less
The brooch is one of the oldest forms of adornment for clothing. It developed from the functional pins that were needed to keep certain parts of a costume together. As time passed by, it acquired an ornamental function as well and started appearing in different shapes. By the Victorian era (1837-1901), fashion dictates applied to accessories as well and certain shapes, decorations and materials for brooches were popular at certain times. Merchants, immigrants and travellers brought the styles in vogue in Europe to South Africa where the local population acquired and wore fashionable brooches, although these were often of the mass produced type and often of inferior quality. A study of contemporary photographs and surviving examples, mainly from the collections of the National Cultural History museum in Pretoria, shows the similarity between what was popular in Britain and Europe, and what was worn locally. Although the examples that were chosen to illustrate this article are mainly from the Transvaal, similar ones from the other parts of the country can be found. It is highly improbable that a certain shape would be restricted to one region only. It must be borne in mind that people moved around. Many families also had members in all parts of what is today modern South Africa.
Historical identity and regional consciousness in Germany : the growing emphasis on history as exemplified by major exhibitions since the 1970sSource: South African Journal of Cultural History 5, pp 190 –196 (1991)More Less
Due to the dramatic pace of technical progress and social changes there is a crisis of culture and identity in Western Europe. In addition to this, in Germany there has always been the question as to what German national identity really is. Until 1871, Germany continued to be broken up into many smaller states. As a consequence, the German culture is pluralistic, with strong regional characteristics. After the catastrophe of National Socialism, indifference towards history has been evident in Germany. Since the mid-nineteen seventies, some of the 'Bundeslander' (states) of the federal Republic have tried to strengthen the awareness of the past. They staged special exhibitions confined to issues of regional history with the objective of heightening the respective states, sense of identity. The article describes the Staufer Exhibition 1971, the Wittelsbacher Exhibition 1980 and the Prussia Exhibition 1981. It concludes that these exhibitions have not only succeeded in creating a kind of regional consciousness in different parts of Germany, but also a growing interest in German history as a whole.