n Development Finance Agenda (DEFA) - The rise of saving and credit cooperatives in Tanzania - will it bring financial boom or bust
|Article Title||The rise of saving and credit cooperatives in Tanzania - will it bring financial boom or bust|
|© Publisher:||Chartered Institute of Development Finance (CIDEF)|
|Journal||Development Finance Agenda (DEFA)|
|Affiliations||1 University of Stellenbosch Business School and 2 University of Stellenbosch Business School|
|Publication Date||Jan 2015|
|Pages||38 - 39|
The objective of this paper was to evaluate the performance and sustainability of saving and Credit Cooperatives in Tanzania (SACCOs). We used the data from audited financial statements of 103 SACCOs during 2011. We found that there is a glimmer of hope towards financial sustainability path for some SACCOs, but more work is ahead. While 51% of SACCOs are performing well in terms of sustainability, the remaining 49% of them are operating under 'time bomb' mode meaning that their annual total cost is higher than their annual net revenue. In terms of profitability on average they are profitable recording 7% returns on asset. Improvement in profitability and cost containment has been found to have a significant positive impact on performance and sustainability of SACCOs.
Article metrics loading...