oa De Rebus - The Old Bailey
The first court Prior to 1539 all criminals were tried inside the prison - the notorious Newgate prison which stood for over 800 years. In the records of Newgate there is an 11 th century reference to it as the Heynhouse (hateful) gaol. The prison took its name from the New Gate which formed part of the Roman wall encircling the City of London. Running parallel to the wall was ""Deadman's Walk"" along which condemned men took their final steps to keep their appointment with the hangman.
Article metrics loading...