oa De Rebus - NADEL launches Dullah Omar Project to fight gender-based sexual violence 'war' : news
At the launch of the Dullah Omar Project against Genderâ??Based Sexual Violence in Durban at the end of November 2013, National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL) members committed themselves to -
- disseminating an information checklist to educate members of the public with regard to the importance of preserving evidence in gender-based violent crimes;
- cooperating with stakeholders such as the South African Police Service (SAPS), the DNA Project and community caregivers to compile and disseminate information documents for the public;
- empowering children so that the voices of child victims are heard through child leadership programmes;
- promoting better communication and the empowerment of vulnerable and disabled victims of sexual crimes, including the availability of sign-language interpreters in courts as well as guidelines for the cross-examination of 'vulnerable' witnesses where improper examination by legal practitioners should be made a disciplinary offence; and
- providing guidance to the SAPS on taking proper statements.
Article metrics loading...