oa De Rebus - NADEL launches Dullah Omar Project to fight gender-based sexual violence 'war' : news
|Article Title||NADEL launches Dullah Omar Project to fight gender-based sexual violence 'war' : news|
|© Publisher:||Law Society of South Africa|
|Publication Date||Jan 2014|
At the launch of the Dullah Omar Project against Genderâ??Based Sexual Violence in Durban at the end of November 2013, National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL) members committed themselves to -
- disseminating an information checklist to educate members of the public with regard to the importance of preserving evidence in gender-based violent crimes;
- cooperating with stakeholders such as the South African Police Service (SAPS), the DNA Project and community caregivers to compile and disseminate information documents for the public;
- empowering children so that the voices of child victims are heard through child leadership programmes;
- promoting better communication and the empowerment of vulnerable and disabled victims of sexual crimes, including the availability of sign-language interpreters in courts as well as guidelines for the cross-examination of 'vulnerable' witnesses where improper examination by legal practitioners should be made a disciplinary offence; and
- providing guidance to the SAPS on taking proper statements.
Article metrics loading...