n Without Prejudice - Jury still out on Mauritius residence status : international law

Volume 8, Issue 9
  • ISSN : 1681-178X



A person emigrating from South Africa is allowed to transfer out of the country certain limited amounts. The remainder of their South African assets become "blocked" and can only be externalised against payment by the emigrant of a 10% exchange control levy. What is more, the Reserve Bank (SARB) only allows the transfer of blocked funds once the emigrant has obtained permanent residence status in a foreign jurisdiction.

Loading full text...

Full text loading...


Article metrics loading...


This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error