n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Diabetes care : when is (specialist) referral needed? : main article
|Article Title||Diabetes care : when is (specialist) referral needed? : main article|
|© Publisher:||Health and Medical Publishing Group (HMPG)|
|Journal||CME : Your SA Journal of CPD|
|Publication Date||Nov 2007|
|Pages||534 - 542|
- Diabetes mellitus is a chronic condition that remains an important cause of morbidity and mortality in South Africa.
- Diabetes mellitus requires lifelong care best delivered in a structured manner by a team of skilled health care professionals.
- Patients should be educated to accept increasingly more responsibility for their condition.
- Primary health care workers including medical practitioners provide the mainstay of diabetes care in South Africa and are best positioned to structure diabetes care optimally according to available resources.
- Glycaemic, metabolic and blood pressure goals should be aggressively pursued.
- The psychological and social needs of patients should not be neglected.
Article metrics loading...