n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Management of multiple myeloma : main article
|Article Title||Management of multiple myeloma : main article|
|© Publisher:||Health and Medical Publishing Group (HMPG)|
|Journal||CME : Your SA Journal of CPD|
|Publication Date||Jun 2007|
|Pages||276 - 278|
- Multiple myeloma has a chronic progressive course if not adequately treated.
- Standard treatment with melphalan and prednisone is inferior to current therapies.
- Thalidomide combined with dexamethasone is the treatment of choice for induction therapy.
- High-dose melphalan with stem cell rescue induces high complete remission rates and prolongs overall survival.
- Maintenance thalidomide should be given post stem cell transplant.
- Proteosome inhibitors are currently reserved for the relapsed refractory patients.
- Patients who do not qualify for stem cell transplant should receive melphalan and prednisone combined with thalidomide.
- Complete remission should be the goal of therapy.
Article metrics loading...