n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - What's new in endocrine surgery? : main article
|Article Title||What's new in endocrine surgery? : main article|
|© Publisher:||Health and Medical Publishing Group (HMPG)|
|Journal||CME : Your SA Journal of CPD|
|Publication Date||Jul 2007|
|Pages||312 - 313|
|Keyword(s)||Adrenalanectomy, Endocrine surgery, Minimally invasive surgery, Parathyroidectomy, Surgical management and Thyroidectomy|
The common themes that emerge in minimally invasive endocrine surgery are that:
- proper patient selection is crucial to good results
- it is best to localise the tumours preoperatively whenever possible for a focused operation
- invasive cancers and very large tumours are usually contraindications to minimally invasive approaches
- multiple techniques are usually available, although some may be more versatile than others
- surgeon and institutional experience is of paramount importance in the choice of specific surgical technique and in obtaining good results
- good prospective studies are sorely needed to evaluate these techniques.
Article metrics loading...