n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Chronic kidney disease in HIV infection : early detection and preventive strategies : main article
|Article Title||Chronic kidney disease in HIV infection : early detection and preventive strategies : main article|
|© Publisher:||Health and Medical Publishing Group (HMPG)|
|Journal||CME : Your SA Journal of CPD|
|Author||June Fabian and Sarala Naicker|
|Publication Date||Aug 2007|
|Pages||372 - 376|
- Sub-Saharan Africa is at the epicentre of the HIV pandemic.
- Acute and chronic kidney disease is common in the course of HIV infection.
- There is a huge projected burden of CKD as a result of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa, for which we do not have the resources to cope.
- At present, most people with ESRD and HIV are not offered renal replacement therapy (dialysis and transplantation).
- More emphasis needs to be placed on screening and prevention of CKD in HIV.
- A screening and prevention programme for CKD in HIV needs to be devised and implemented as a matter of urgency.
- Appropriate and well-designed research from the sub-Saharan region needs to be done to determine the effect of interventions on the progression of CKD in HIV.
Article metrics loading...