Full text loading...
n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Mind-body medicine in oncology : main article
- Up to 83% of patients with cancer diagnoses use CAM.
- Integrative medicine emphasises relationship-centred care and develops an understanding of the patient's culture and beliefs to help to facilitate the healing process.
- Cancer patients require symptomatic control that encompasses control of their psychological distress.
- Evidence from multiple studies with various types of cancer patients suggests that mind-body interventions can improve mood, quality of life and coping, as well as ameliorate disease and treatment-related symptoms, such as chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting and pain.
- These interventions include meditation, hypnosis and guided imagery, yoga, prayer, psychosocial interventions and music and art therapy.
Article metrics loading...