Full text loading...
n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Mind-body medicine - concepts and controversies : main article
- Modern lifestyle and stress are distancing the thinking mind (verbal, rational, analytical) from the emotional mind (emotional, intuitive and non-verbal).
- Compared with the thinking mind, the emotional mind is closely linked to autonomic and immune physiology.
- Our bodies react to our perception of a stressful stimulus rather than the stimulus itself.
- Therapeutic touch can modulate neuroendocrine and immune processes.
- There is a physiological basis for belief (placebo), a phenomenon once thought to be 'all in the mind'.
- Our experiences, culture and meaning are closely linked to our biology.
- Placebos may modulate peripheral immune reactivity.
- Acutely stressful psychosocial factors are linked to cardiac morbidity and mortality.
- No single psychosocial factor has been implicated in cancer development.
- Everything we think, feel and do is mirrored in physiological processes.
- Genes and immunity are modulated by psychobiological states of everyday life.
Article metrics loading...