CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Volume 31, Issue 1, 2013
Volume 31, Issue 1, 2013
Author Bridget FarhamSource: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31 (2013)More Less
Regular deworming of children in the developing world is a simple, inexpensive way to improve not only the health of children, but to improve their brain power and increase their educational and employment prospects - yes? Actually, no - if you look at the evidence. But the idea is so deeply entrenched in the minds of doctors, scientists and funders alike that the number of international organisations that support deworming as a development initiative and not simply as a health measure is huge.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 3 –4 (2013)More Less
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 5 –8 (2013)More Less
The World Report on Child Injury Prevention was published by the WHO and UNICEF in 2008. The report regards child injuries and deaths as a major public health problem requiring urgent attention. Childhood injury and violence are the predominant killers of children throughout the world; it is estimated that they are responsible for the death of approximately 1 million children under the age of 18 years annually. Accidental injuries account for the vast majority (90%) of these cases, while the remainder (10%) is estimated to be due to violence or maltreatment.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 8 –10 (2013)More Less
Anaphylaxis, the most serious of the allergic conditions, is a sudden, severe, potentially fatal systemic reaction. It may involve the skin, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract or cardiovascular system. Symptoms occur within minutes to two hours after contact with the allergy-causing substance.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 11 –16 (2013)More Less
Encephalopathy may be a presenting sign in a wide range of medical conditions. This review focuses only on the diagnosis and initial management of those inherited metabolic diseases (IMDs) prevalent in South Africa that may present with encephalopathy in childhood. Metabolic encephalopathy is a medical emergency, and appropriate empirical intervention can often improve outcome, provided a timely working diagnosis is made based on clinical suspicion and targeted laboratory investigations.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 16 –21 (2013)More Less
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 21 –24 (2013)More Less
Many children entering emergency units require immediate vascular access and intravenous fluid administration. Choosing the correct fluid and administering effective and safe amounts of fluid for resuscitation are important determinants of morbidity and mortality outcomes.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 24 –26 (2013)More Less
Poisoning in children causes great anxiety in parents and health professionals alike.
Most cases of poisoning involve a child aged 1 - 2 years who has swallowed a small amount of one substance. In adolescence there is a second peak, due to deliberate self-poisoning. This usually involves large quantities of medicines, recreational drugs and ethanol, often taken together.
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 26 –28 (2013)More Less
The outcome for paediatric cardiac arrest remains dismal, hence the critical need for healthcare staff to recognise the early signs of cardiovascular compromise and use timely interventions to halt further deterioration in children presenting at emergency units. This forms the basis of triage.
Author Michael CarterSource: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31 (2013)More Less
HIV incidence among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Kenya is as high as 35%, investigators report in the online edition of AIDS. Incidence was just 6% for bisexual men, but was 35% in men who only had sex with other men. The study adds to the growing body of evidence showing the severity of the HIV epidemic among MSM in Africa.
Author Chris BatemanSource: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31, pp 32 –34 (2013)More Less
International : Gastric band customers score half price
International : Condoms - coming to a hut near you
Africa : Uganda the most corrupt East African state
South Africa : Health shambles
South Africa : AIDS drugs cut SA's maternal death rate
South Africa : Doctor fired for fleecing patient of R3 000
South Africa : Yellow fever checks to resume soon
South Africa : Healthcare has a poor prognosis
Source: CME : Your SA Journal of CPD 31 (2013)More Less