n South African Medical Journal - The UCT Department of Medicine at 90 years - continuity and change : correspondence




The Department of Medicine at the University of Cape Town (UCT) has recently celebrated 90 years of its existence. The first Professor of Medicine, Professor A W 'Oubaas' Falconer, from Aberdeen, Scotland, established the then Division of Medicine at the new UCT Medical School in February 1920. He contributed greatly to the establishment of clinical teaching, then at Somerset Hospital. In 1938 Groote Schuur Hospital (GSH) opened, at which time Falconer retired as Professor of Medicine to become Vice-Chancellor and Principal of UCT.


Article metrics loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error