Full text loading...
n South African Medical Journal - Rape in South Africa - call to action : correspondence
After reading the above-titled editorial, I came to the conclusion that it gave a historical perspective, by and large, to the care of rape victims in South Africa. It contains many criticisms of practitioners who care for such victims:
- 'secondary trauma sometimes suffered at the hands of the SAPS and health services
- many rape survivors feel alone and let down by ... the institutions that ostensibly exist to protect them
- four rape crisis centres ... there has been no significant change to the quality of services offered to rape survivors
- misapprehension ... medical staff ... victims must first lay a charge
- lack of clinical competence in clinical forensic medicine, all compounded by staff apathy, resistance and non-adherence to protocols.'
Article metrics loading...