1887

n South African Medical Journal - Case report - Haemotoxic snakebite in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa : a case presenting with haematemesis : in practice

USD

 

Abstract

A 36-year-old man who had been bitten on the left index finger by a snake identified as a boomslang () presented with haematemesis and hypovolaemic shock. Coagulopathy was presumed, and the platelet count was 2 x 109L. Findings on upper endoscopy included oesophageal petechial haemorrhages, severe haemorrhagic gastritis and an antral ulcer. The patient was successfully managed using freeze-dried plasma, packed red blood cells, isotonic crystalloids and polyvalent antivenom.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/m_samj/106/5/EJC188164
2016-05-01
2016-12-06
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error