n Tax Breaks Newsletter - Donating assets to your spouse? Here's the CGT and other tax implications : capital gains tax

Volume 2015, Issue 349
  • ISSN :



You can defer the capital gain or loss if transferred to a spouse. But as always, watch out for anti-avoidance provisions. The following question was received from one of our readers: My income is much higher than my wife's income, and therefore my tax rate is also higher. I'm therefore considering transferring my JSE shares (my portfolio) from my name to my wife's name. Will I have to pay CGT the moment when I transfer the shares to her, or will we have to pay CGT only when she sells the shares?

Loading full text...

Full text loading...


Article metrics loading...


This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error