Mosenodi - Volume 2, Issue 2, 1994
Volume 2, Issue 2, 1994
Author P.T. Mmantsetsa MaropeSource: Mosenodi 2, pp 3 –14 (1994)More Less
This paper is based on a study that applies multilevel conceptual and analytical frameworks to investigate sources of achievement differentials among Batswana students. The results of the study show startling differences with those previously reported in Botswana and in developing countries in general. Up to 88 percent of the variance in academic achievement is explicable through student characteristics, leaving only about 12 percent that could be explained through school characteristics.
Hegemony and the curriculum process : a critique of curriculum development and implementation in BotswanaAuthor Tonic MaruatonaSource: Mosenodi 2, pp 15 –32 (1994)More Less
The issue of hegemony in the process of curriculum development and implementation in Botswana is explored in terms of how it facilitates ideological, social and cultural domination by those who possess both political and economic power in society. The argument is that curriculum development is presented as a 'neutral' undertaking by the state and its functionaries in curriculum development even though it places one set of values over others in society. The thinking behind the composition of the commissions is examined in terms of who is involved or not and why? The activities of the Curriculum Development Division and its relation to the teachers is also considered. Suggestions are made for an alternative course of action that would reduce the hegemonic domination of the current elite over the curriculum in Botswana.
Author Dorothy P. BrandonSource: Mosenodi 2, pp 33 –43 (1994)More Less
A descriptionptive study was conducted to identify the perceptions of home economics teachers, headmasters, and home economics trainee teachers regarding the relevance of home economics goals in addressing individual, family, community and national development needs of Botswana. Overall respondents perceived the thirteen goals to be only somewhat relevant in addressing development needs. From among the thirteen goals, the three goals ranked most highly among all three groups of respondents were promoting skills that are applicable to everyday life; developing skills for self-reliance; and helping families improve their standard of living. Trainee teachers of home economics were found to have a significantly different perception of the relevance of the home economics goals in addressing individual and family development compared with home economics teachers and headmasters.
Source: Mosenodi 2, pp 43 –57 (1994)More Less
This study investigates and documents the extent to which midwifery training is important for the effective implementation of family planning nursing practices which were initially introduced in Botswana through the USAlD-sponsored Botswana-Meharry intensive in-service programme between 1973 and 1978. In particular, it documents the extent to which important family planning service s suchas distributing condoms, prescribing and resupplying pills, inserting interuterine devices, performing post-insertion check-ups, giving injections, monitoring clients for contra-indications or side effects and advising women who experience side effects, are performed by nurses with and without midwifery training in Botswana and the factors and conditions which tend to inhibit the implementation of family planning nursing practices in Botswana.