oa South African Family Practice - Practice of bio-medical research amongst doctors in Owo : research
|Article Title||Practice of bio-medical research amongst doctors in Owo : research|
|© Publisher:||Medpharm Publications|
|Journal||South African Family Practice|
|Affiliations||1 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria, 2 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria, 3 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria, 4 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria, 5 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria and 6 Federal Medical Centre, Nigeria|
|Publication Date||Mar 2015|
|Pages||1 - 4|
|Keyword(s)||Medical practitioners, Nigeria, Practice and Research|
Aim : This study aimed at appraising the practice of bio-medical research amongst doctors working at Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Ondo State, Nigeria. Barriers to health research were also identified.
Methods : This study was conducted over a period of six months between June and November 2012 among different cadres of medical practitioners working at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Ondo State, Nigeria. One hundred respondents selected by simple random sampling technique were interviewed with the aid of a semi-structured questionnaire. Informed consent was obtained from each of the respondents. The information obtained included their bio-data, previous research training experience, and publication. Views of respondents on bio-medical research and barriers to health research were also sought. The data obtained with the aid of the questionnaire were collated and analysed with SPSS 15.0.1 statistical software version.
Results : A total of 85 out of the 100 medical practitioners that collected the questionnaire returned their filled questionnaire. The age range of the respondents is 25-59 years with a mean age of 36.55 years ± 8.4 years. The median age was 34 years, and the mode was 34 years. There were 71 males and 14 females. Most respondents (61; 71.8%) had training in research while the remaining 24 (28.2%) did not. Most respondents (66; 77.6%) had participated in research and few, 19 (22.4%), had not participated in research. Less than half of the respondents (41; 48.8%) had had previous research published, and more than half (43; 51.2%) had not had research published. Most respondents (79; 92.9%) believed that research helped in promoting medical practice. Lack of research funding was a major barrier to research (75; 88.2%).
Conclusion : Most respondents had participated in research. The majority of the study participants had training in bio-medical research prior to this study. There is a need for regular training of doctors in bio-medical research, and adequate funding should be provided for research.
Article metrics loading...