oa Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection - Poliomyelitis Research Foundation : tribute to Professor Barry Schoub : Festschrift
Prof Barry Schoub has made a tremendous contribution to the Poliomyelitis Research Foundation (PRF) over a period of 34 years.
The PRF laboratories, built in 1952 and headed initially by Prof James Gear under the PRF Board of Trustees (of which Mr George Cook was chairman), were taken over in 1976 by the state and became the National Institute of Virology (NIV). Prof Walter Prozesky was the founding director, and he was succeeded by Prof Schoub in 1978. With the creation of the National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS), the need for a specialised and dedicated public health institute was recognised. The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), incorporating the NIV, was established in 2002, and Prof Schoub was appointed as the first executive director.
Article metrics loading...