oa Southern African Journal of Gynaecological Oncology - Palliative chemotherapy in recurrent carcinoma cervix : experience from a regional cancer centre in southern India : research
|Article Title||Palliative chemotherapy in recurrent carcinoma cervix : experience from a regional cancer centre in southern India : research|
|© Publisher:||Medpharm Publications|
|Journal||Southern African Journal of Gynaecological Oncology|
|Affiliations||1 Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, India, 2 Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, India, 3 Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, India and 4 Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, India|
|Publication Date||Jan 2016|
|Pages||21 - 24|
|Keyword(s)||Docetaxel, Paclitaxel/cisplatin, Palliative chemotherapy and Recurrent cervical cancer|
Aims : To evaluate the clinical outcome and complications with two different palliative chemotherapy regimens in recurrent cervical carcinoma.
Methods and materials : Forty (40) women with recurrent cervical squamous cell carcinoma were treated with palliative chemotherapy using paclitaxel plus cisplatin or single-agent docetaxel. Clinical outcome and toxicities were analysed. The parameters in two arms were compared using Student's t-test and statistical analysis was done using R software.
Results : At a median follow up of 1.35 years the clinical outcome was complete response/partial response in 50% and 60% and progressive disease in 20% and 10% of the patients with either paclitaxel/cisplatin or docetaxel, respectively, which was not statistically significant. Stable disease (SD) was 30% in both arms. Toxicity included nausea, seen in all the patients in both arms, and diarrhoea, seen in 90% and 70% of the patients in the two arms, respectively. Grade II to III neutropenia was seen in 10% of patients with paclitaxel/cisplatin and none with docetaxel. Hypersensitivity was encountered in 40% and 30% in the two arms, respectively.
Conclusion : There was no significant difference in clinical outcome and morbidity in patients with either paclitaxel/cisplatin or single-agent docetaxel. Further prospective clinical trials with larger study groups and longer follow-up are required to substantiate these claims.
Article metrics loading...