1887

n African Journal of Reproductive Health - Histopathological types of breast cancer in Gombe, north eastern Nigeria : a seven-year review : original research article

Volume 15, Issue 1
  • ISSN : 1118-4841
  • E-ISSN: 2141-3606

Abstract

This was a retrospective analysis of all consecutive breast cancer specimens submitted to the Pathology Department Of Federal Medical Centre, Gombe which renders histopathology services to four states in the North Eastern region of Nigeria. A total of 172 cases of malignant breast tumours were recorded during the 7 years under review. Out of the 172 cases of breast cancers analysed, 7 (4%) were in males while the remaining 165 (96%) were in females giving a male: female ratio of 1:24. The most common histopathological type of breast cancer found in this study was Invasive Ductal Carcinoma no special type (NST) accounting for 78.8% of cases.


Il s'agit d'une analyse rétrospective de tous les échantillons du cancer du sein qui ont été remis au Département de la Pathologie de Federal Medical Centre, Gombe, rend des services de pathologie à quatre états de la région nord-est du Nigéria. On a enregistré au total 172 cas de la tumeur du sein maligne au cours des sept ans de la révision. Sur les 172 cas de cancer du sein qui ont été analysés, 7 (4%) étaient des mâles alors que le reste 165 (96%) étaient des femelles, ce qui signifie un rapport mâle : femelle de 1 :24. Le type histopathologique de cancer du sein identifié dans cette étude était le cancer invasif, pas de type particulier (PTP), ce qui représente 78,8% des cas.

Loading full text...

Full text loading...

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/ajrh/15/1/EJC121026
2011-03-01
2019-11-22

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error