Full text loading...
n CME : Your SA Journal of CPD - Mind, immunity and health - the science and clinical application of psychoneuroimmunology : main article
- Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) is a multidisciplinary field spanning immunology, psychology and neuro-endocrinology.
- The bi-directional communication occurs between the brain, endocrine and immune systems reflects a functional 'psychosomatic network'.
- Chronic stress influences all aspects of the psychosomatic network.
- Various psychosocial factors impact on immunity and resistance, their impact depends on the resilience of the individual who encounters these factors.
- Hardiness, self-complexity and balanced emotional expression are important buffers against stress and immune dysfunction.
- Mood, adaptive coping, continued life involvement, emotional processing, social support, doctor-patient relationship and spirituality, are all variables that can influence disease progression from a PNI perspective.
- Managing stress, identifying relevant psychosocial factors and promoting self-efficacy, optimism and resilience is an important facet of comprehensive health care.
Article metrics loading...